“One thing that I have in my GHB that I rarely see mentioned for GHBs is a four way sillcock key (pic below). This is a device for turning on tamper resistant or industrial hose bibs that are on the outside of many commercial or industrial buildings. Those hose bibs could become a valuable source of water on a trek home. They are available from Survival Resources for about ten bucks, which I consider a bargain.”
A steel 4-Way Sillcock Key fits 1/4”, 9/32”, 5/16” and 11/32” square stems
My reply was as follows:
FWIW, I completely agree. That's a damned good item to have Gloves, glad you mentioned it. I had a couple of those floating around the house/vehicle years ago. Actually, one was in my glove box for a long time. Came in handy a couple of times too, but not in an emergency situation. A good item to have for anyone, especially if you're an urbanite.
Here's a video from the site you mentioned, Gloves.
OK, one thing I want to mention, which he didn't, is let the water run a while before you drink it and/or fill your bottle. Many of the sources get used very infrequently and the water is just sitting in the pipes for months or longer. I know this from experience. Also, take a big drink and then top off the bottle before you're done. You never know where your next water supply will be.
Oh, and another tip learned from experience. Make sure you get a steel key and not a cheap pot metal one. Back in the late 70's, while I was at work, I actually split a socket on one trying to open a seized water spigot (or sillcock). Long story, but that cost me a lot of walkin' and it was a very hot day.
I forgot to mention, I like the hose idea shown in the video in post #10.
------------------------------------------
Take care and stay safe,
Joe Doakes aka Kilogulf59Integrated Close Combat Forum
--------------------------------------------
Please note: prior to commenting or passing judgment, either in a positive or negative manner, I suggest you read About Joe Doakes’ Place and the Disclaimer
assuming you haven't already. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment